Thursday, December 4, 2008

updates

I have recently noticed signs that I may be identifying reality with my mathematics coursework a bit too much. A few signs (I'll post more as life goes on)
  1. A friend and I talk about Christ's coming (both into our lives and physically into this world) changes and redefines everything, or redeems everything. I make the analogy: just like the way our understanding of R^n is changed completely and fleshed out by general topology.
  2. I see a picture of 3 Taco Bell hot sauce packages, one hot, one fire, one hot, in that order. HFH if you might. For some odd reason, this strikes me as a finite-dimensional projection of Fire onto the Hot (I guess I assumed the second H was transposed by mistake).
  3. There is a joke going around the office (related to me somehow) about "compact support" girl. Support in this case has to do with the idea of a woman's chest support. Compact support is a mathematical concept describing basis functions.
And on and on. A lot of these happened tonight, where I attended an Episcopalean friend's church event - Theology on Tap. The topic of the evening - some very excellent Pinot Noir and the Advent. It was neat to see into a whole different world - I'm slowly learning of the differences between American evangelicals and other world churches.

In other words, I have now had an (almost) complete home recording studio set up in my room.
Here's a little glimpse of the whole thing (minus the studio monitors that are on my desk). I never imaged home studios would be such a mess. However, I have gotten some good recording done...so just you wait! The next CD will be coming out soon. And it will (God willing I finish recording this song by December) the most romantic Christmas song you've ever heard in your entire life.

Yes, I also may have a few too many guitars lying around.


I'd also like to welcome the newest members of the Chan guitar family - meet PRS and Danelectro (who have yet to recieve actual names).

On the left here is PRS - recently acquired on my last trip down to Houston. I started recording with it, and it does great both for pop-rock (Things about you) and jazz (that romantic Christmas song I mentioned). It's a semi-hollowbody, but with a smaller cavity than most guitars, so it proves very versatile.



On the right is a much more interesting case. I actually had a friend in high school give this guitar to me after finding it at a garage sale. He had gotten it for free. I'd like to say it's a priceless relic, but it turns out it's a fairly cheap guitar pricewise (only $300ish). What's odd about it is that it's made out of masonite and cheap particle board. However, it has somewhat of a cult following because it sounds amazing and nobody knew why! Turns out, it's also a semi-hollowbody, and the pickups are unique, but the great sound is still somewhat of a mystery. Ladies and gentlemen, the Danelectro U2 Reissue

More to come later. Last day of classes tomorrow means I hopefully have some more time to reflect and post on more enriching topics.

2 comments:

Yama said...

sigh, jesse. you are missed! christmas party was yesterday, and we were missing someone to steal all the romantic gifts...

jchan985 said...

aw come on!!! what about daniel jong?? =P I hope I didn't train him for nothing