Monday, April 20, 2009

searching

I just now thought of a church in a different way: a place in which to belong, in which to learn and grow and serve. A sanctuary unto which an individual entrusts his current and future self - a place he can belong and can identify with, but also one in which he can grow as Christ intended him to.

Now the question I find myself asking - what if said individual doesn't know either what exactly he believes (and thus/or) what type of person he hopes to be? What does a church search look like then?

To be precise, said individual knows a few things he believes, but they tend to be very basic and fairly broad (and said individual is me, in case that wasn't clear). For example - the physical resurrection of Jesus Christ, the existence of God, etc...things that tend to be taken for granted in most churches I've visited, though even these were big steps I had to take/retake.

More nuanced beliefs - conservative/liberal tendencies, specific doctrines, attitudes towards social issues, science and faith, controversial issues, etc. - I am less sure of myself on, and the same is true for other issues such as race. As I try to make a checklist of things that I believe a church should have, I'm finding it difficult to write down more than two things, and thus to really narrow down my choices.

I was going to write a post listing churches I've visited and reviewing each one, but I nixed that one - it seemed as if I was writing pros and cons of each one, but not drawing any closer to finding a church home. And so instead, I write this, and instead I feel wishy washy. Not plugged in. Still kind of wandering around Austin, even after having visited 7 churches so far, but fearful also of settling down somewhere because I'm unsure of whether or not I want to go down that path and not another one. I hope I can ask for your prayers on where to go from here.

"And I still
Haven't found (or figured out)
What I'm looking for."

9 comments:

Alan said...

Wow, I'm in your exact predicament.

- says Alan helpfully

jchan985 said...

haha but at least your sense of wit is as fantastic as ever.

sorry to hear - do you mean in terms of church searching or beliefs as well?

jglc said...

word up. glad to see you're still moving forward on this journey.

saw you a few times recently on AIM but was otherwise preoccupied - maybe it'll be time for another extended chat session sometime soon??

jchan985 said...

perhaps =) i've got a talk scheduled with an old friend soon, but holler at me sometime and we'll figure it out.

Yama said...

hmm. i feel like this post requires meditative abilities that i lose once i don't get enough sleep...so hopefully a more meaningful comment later?

jchan985 said...

take your time, henry - you know I always appreciate your thoughts and inputs =)

Yama said...

relevant: the gospel coalition's notion of a "center-bounded set" - http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/network

also, I don't think you're doing this, but just in case...the church's doctrinal stance on their website can differ significantly from the church's real-life doctrine (the one you see in their lives).

with that in mind...i don't really have any good answers. after all, it can take a long time to really understand things like that. so...maybe ask people that you trust that know austin churches?

in the (approximate) words of phil chii: "love God, wife, family, and friends, in that order, and you can't go wrong." so...maybe find a church that does the above?

but yeah. that's a tough one...

jchan985 said...

haha yama, I actually commented on matt dunn's blog about how that was actually more a "closed set". I have never heard of a center-bounded set in mathematics.

good point though...I've been thinking about it, and I know I disagree some things at HCC as well, but I was able to serve and grow through them still.

Mithun said...

I spent my freshman year bouncing back between two or three churches, and then sophomore and senior year going to one, but never getting deeply involved. One of my biggest regrets in college. I have an awesome Church and community here, and I really know how important it is. So whatever you settle on, better sooner than later.

I wish I could offer more specific advice, but all I can say is that my brother enjoyed the Church he went to in Austin, so maybe it's worth a visit. It's called Austin First Seventh-Day Adventist Church, right off of 183: 301 W Anderson Ln. Ummm, remember to go on Saturday, not Sunday. My brother's name is "Roshan," just in case you wanna drop it while you're there ;-)