Saturday, February 14, 2009

foodie habits

I've recently discovered this manga called "Mixed Vegetables". The story involves two students at a culinary school, one who is a prodigy at sushi working in a pastry shop, and the other one a pastry lover working in a sushi shop. And there's a comedic romance between them too involving their chef dreams - I couldn't believe it. Cooking and comedy and romance. Together in one manga. It's like a dream come true (incidentally, I am not gay).

But seriously, after starting to really watch what I eat and focus intently on cooking healthy good food, I think I've become a foodie. Telltale signs...

1. All the movies I watch more than once nowadays are food related (God of Cookery, Ratatouille, Babette's Feast, Chocolat). I have a lead on several others that I want to check out as well now...
2. I follow several cooking mangas/animes (Addicted to Curry, Mixed Vegetables, Cooking Master Boy, Yakitate)
3. I actually taught my mom how to cook something this Winter Break, and she got me a wok for Christmas.

I'm not sure what it is about having a weird obsession with food - there's something I really enjoy about it, not just eating it, but sharing it with others too, and even the whole preparation process is fascinating to me. I feel as if I could fall asleep listening to the sounds of a kitchen (dishes being laid out, the sounds of whisking, iron spatulas clanging against frying pans, gas stoves burning hot, soups and sauces boiling, onions sizzling, etc etc). Every part of the food preparation process seems much more glamorous than it used to =P.

Does anyone else identify with this, or am I just weird?

2 comments:

Yama said...

mm, oh jesse. you're so artsy =).

mon said...

i identify with the foodieness, tho it's more from watching food shows on tv, not so much from anime/manga, heh.