Tuesday, September 9, 2008

time badly spent

I tend to be terrible at overall summaries of my life, so I'll try to harp on individual subjects that catch my attention and merit posting on. I seem to be having a lot of difficulty using my free time well. Ever since senior year, I seem to have lost interest in things, and found I have a remarkable talent for wasting time. It seems to have carried over to grad school.

Turns out, I have only 3 classes, 1 research group, and no classes Tuesday/Thursday. You'd think that with Austin's beautiful sceneries, UT's huge gym, and the people I know, I'd be doing lots of things, right? Most of the time, I've wasted my time reading manga and lounging around the house. Today, for example - I woke up, cooked breakfast, read manga, read emails, then cooked lunch, then read more manga, finally going to the office at 3PM, leaving at 6PM (to go running in an attempt to make myself feel productive physically too) I am going to fail out if I keep this up.

What's with all these unproductive and pointless choices that I'm making? Ideas have consequences, and my choices have consequences too, not only direct consequences but also consequences on my ideas, on the habits I build for myself. What are these choices going to do to me down the line? I think I was better prepared for graduate school when I was an undergraduate. I feel like I'm doing most of my maturing now, rather than at Rice when most people tend to have their "coming of age" times. I hope that's not true.

In other news, I am somehow hooked on...(don't laugh now...) romance mangas (in addition to my other mangas...). All types, too - shojo, josei, shounen (I told you not to laugh...). A few good ones I've read in the past few months...

- Ai Yori Aoshi: really good, but not scanlated to the end! =(
- Umi No Misaki: I liked this one a lot. A bit on the ecchi side, but nothing too bad in taste thankfully. By the same artist as Ai Yori Aoshi.
- High School Debut: art is only OK, but it's better than average for this genre. plus, the characters are well developed and really funny =). I liked this one a lot
- Bitter Virgin: really heavy story. A bit depressing.
- Ai Kora: haha this one is so immature, but fun.

4 comments:

jglc said...

ah.... continuing the migratory trend exhibited in so many of us...

Sam said...

HAHAHA ROMANCE MANGA!? ROFL. =)

Now do you understand why you get paid less than some of your friends who aren't as smart as you =)

jchan985 said...

hahahahahaha i do it on my TIME OFF!!! Not while I'm at the office!!!

mon said...

i actually don't think most people "come of age" in college. you just think you do, and then real life hits you after graduating. you'll get better. and then once you think you've got it all figured out, you realize again that you don't. you're perfectly normal! except for that romance manga, that is.