Monday, September 15, 2008

Houston vs Austin

After living in Austin for a few weeks, I have a few observations to make about this city as compared to Houston.
  • "Austin squirrels are idiots." During Rice, I had 2 occurrances of a squirrel running out into the path of my bike. Both times, the squirrel noticed me, even as I was going top speed, and avoided me (for the most part, anyhow - one time I just ran over its tail). The first Austin squirrel I encounter with my bike runs out into my path, and as I brake to slow down, it just kind of stands there stupidly until I run it over (it appeared to be fine, seeing that it was standing up as I was looking back at it afterwards).

  • "Austin pretends to be green." I think Austin wants to be an earth-friendly city, but about half the city is really gung-ho about it. The rest (and a large part of UT administration) just say they are and continue to throw away recyclables and drive huge SUVs.

  • "Autry gym is pitiful". The UT gym has everything, and its bigger. A rock climbing wall, 3 outdoor pools, an indoor track, etc. 24 hour doesn't even compare to this place.

  • "Austin is small". 10 minutes away is considered a long drive here. Wait, scratch that, having to DRIVE is considered a long drive here.

Ok, a more serious post on my thoughts on post-grad life coming up later (along with more facts about Austin if I can come up with any). This is just to keep things updated =P.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha, got to hate them squirrels

Elaine said...

I'm considering new places to live after med school... some place without so many hurricanes... and less pollution :P Hmm, I hadn't thought about Austin, but it's got potential!